This is the new Traffic and Road Safety Law approved this Thursday in Congress
- The Congress of Deputies finishes the process of approval of the law.
- Rubalcaba emphasizes that they fine so that “people do not do it again”.
- They improve the communication of sanctions and the prompt payment is rewarded.
- The new rule could take effect this coming spring.
The Congress of the Deputies has approved this Thursday the reform of the Law of Traffic and Road Safety, that reduces the catalog of conducts that make lose points of the card and simplifies the sanctioning procedure so that the known ‘quitamultas’ , that take advantage of the “litter” and the administrative “darkness” have it “more difficult”. The objective of the reform is to improve the efficiency and immediacy of the sanctioning procedure, speeding up the notification of fines and offering a discount of up to 50% for prompt payment .
Rubalcaba ensures that the administration does not fine “for pleasure” In his speech before the plenary session of the Lower House in which the reform of the Traffic Law has been debated, the Minister of the Interior, Alfredo Pérez Rubalcaba , has made it clear that the administration not fine “for pleasure” but so that “people do not do it again”. Rubalcaba stressed that the new rule will mean a “more immediate” sanctioning regime that, however, does not harm in any way the right of defense of drivers.
“We all agree that the closer the punishment of the infraction is, the greater its pedagogical value “, stressed the Minister of the Interior, who recalled that those drivers who have been sanctioned and acknowledge the infraction, will be able to pay with a greater discount, of up to 50%, while those who disagree with the lack will also have “better mechanisms” to appeal it .
“The administrations win and the citizens gain,” said Pérez Rubalcaba, who welcomed the broad consensus reached during the “complex” and “laborious” process of the reform.
The regulation could take effect this spring. Among the new measures , outputs of the bill and successive amendments of the Senate, include:
- If the offender pays the fine less than 20 days after the notification, he will benefit from a 50% discount , although he will lose the right to appeal it. The driver can pay the penalty at the moment by credit card.
- Agents can immobilize a vehicle if it circulates without insurance or without a helmet, in the case of a motorcycle.
- You can not pass the ITV if it is not credited to be up to date of the insurance payment of the vehicle.
- To avoid misinterpretations, the new law establishes that the margin of error of speed control radars should continue to be respected, which oscillate between 3 and 10% depending on the model of the cinemometer.
- Improve the communication of sanctions by introducing telematics.
- You can recover up to six points of the card with courses. Up to now the maximum was four.
- It will mean loss of six points carrying a radar inhibitor , altering the operation of the tachograph or the speed limiter and driving with the permit temporarily suspended.
- It will no longer be a loss of points to park in the bus lane or to circulate with children under 12 years of age on motorcycles.
- The crane can take a car parked in blue zone without a ticket or tripled the time paid.
- The minor sanctions will be punished with a fine of up to 100 euros ; the serious ones with 200 and the very serious ones with up to 500 euros.
- The money collected in penalties will be used to prevent traffic accidents and for victims of accidents.
- The holders of a vehicle that accumulates four serious or very serious serious penalties without paying can not perform any procedure related to it, such as sale or transfer.
NEW POINTS OF LOSS OF POINTS
- Driving with a higher alcohol level than allowed, or low the effects of drugs, as well as refusing to undergo the Breathalyzer test.
- Circular recklessly, in the opposite direction, or participate in unauthorized careers in the public thoroughfare.
- Drive vehicles that have installed radar inhibitors or manipulate the tachometers.
- Driving a vehicle with administrative authorization suspended for driving or having prohibited the use of the vehicle being driven.
- Throw objects that can cause fires or traffic accidents to the road.
- Do not respect a yield to the pass, skip a stop or a red light.
- To advance in a continuous line, hindering vehicles traveling in the opposite direction or in conditions of reduced visibility.
- Carry out the reversing maneuver on the motorway, do not respect the safety distance or do not follow the instructions of the traffic agents.
- Do not use the safety belt, child restraint systems or helmet.
- Driving using headphones or other devices that reduce attention to driving or use mobile phone devices or browsers.